Open vision bar

Information for New JCS Families

Last Updated: 11/13/2023 10:12 PM

Welcome to Jessamine County Schools, we’re glad that you’ve joined our district family! If your child has previously attended school in our district and your family is returning to JCS, please contact your child's school for instructions on enrollment. We want to make your transition into our school system as easy and enjoyable as possible.  The information on this page is designed to answer your questions and help you navigate the process of enrollment.  We want to help your family get off to a terrific start and if you need further information or assistance, we’re glad to help!  Please don’t hesitate to contact your child’s school or you can also contact our Director of Pupil Personnel, Daniel Sandlin at (859) 885-4179 or by email.

Frequently asked questions about new student enrollment

which school will my child attend how do i enroll my child what documents are required for enrollment what health records are required to attend
what is required for proof of residence what is accepted in lieu of a birth certificate how do i register for prek or kindergarten  


Learn more about our district

When you are new to an area, one of the first questions you probably have is "Where will my child attend school?". This link will help you to determine which attendance area your family is in.  Find your street on the linked document and in addition to times for bus pick up/drop off, you can see the districted schools for that address under the two columns labeled "ELEM" and "MS HS". For questions about school districts, including out of district requests, please contact the Director of Pupil Personnel (DPP) office at (859)885-4179 Back to top

How do I enroll my child?

Please click the "Register a Family" button at the link provided and complete the Online Registration information requested.  The registration process will be completed at your child's school.  If you have questions, school contact information can be found hereBack to top

What documents are required for enrollment?

  • Child’s legal birth certificate or other acceptable proof of identity
  • One item as proof of residence (Example: Utility Bill, Mortgage/Lease)
  • Information for two emergency contacts, including exact names and birthdates to match photo identification and current telephone numbers
  • Court documents pertaining to your child, if applicable Back to top

What health records are required to attend? 


The following health records are required for new students enrolling in JCS for the first time:

Preschool/Kindergarten through Fifth Grade

  • Valid Kentucky Immunization Certificate, presented within two weeks of enrollment
  • Preventative Health Care Exam Form documenting a physical exam done within one year prior, or within 30 days after, entering school
  • Kentucky Eye Exam Form documenting an exam by a licensed ophthalmologist or optometrist by January 1 of the year of enrollment for students 4-6 years of age
  • Kentucky Dental Exam Form documenting an exam by a licensed dentist or dental hygienist for all 5 or 6 year olds by January 1 of the year of enrollment

Sixth through Twelfth Grade

  • Valid Kentucky Immunization Certificate, presented within two weeks of enrollment
  • Preventative Health Care Exam Form documenting a physical exam done within one year prior, or within 30 days after, date of enrollment.

To ensure that your child meets these requirements, please contact your health care provider(s) and if necessary, schedule an appointment as soon as possible. Take all immunization records with you to the appointment. Thank you for helping us to ensure the health and welfare of all JCS students! Back to top

What documentation is accepted as proof of residence?  

One of the following acceptable documents must be provided for enrollment in JCS. Please note that no exceptions will be made.

Acceptable documents must be dated within the previous 60 days and include:

  • Mortgage/Lease
  • Water Bill
  • Electric Bill
  • Gas Bill
  • Garbage Bill
  • Cable TV/Satellite Bill
  • Landline Telephone Bill
  • House Insurance
  • Affidavit of Residence

Documents NOT accepted include:

  • Cell Phone Bill
  • Driver’s License
  • Food Stamp Document
  • Automobile Insurance Bill
  • Bank Statement
  • Miscellaneous Mail
  • Other items that are not related to the physical property where the student resides Back to top

What documents are accepted in lieu of a birth certificate?

A legal copy of the child's birth certificate or an affidavit explaining the inability to produce a copy of the birth certificate is required for school enrollment. The following documents are acceptable alternatives to providing a birth certificate:

  • Adoption records
  • Valid passport or other federal government identification (example: Social Security card)
  • Military identification or immigration card
  • Valid Kentucky driver's license or permit
  • Prior school records (when transferring from another district) identifying student by name and date of birth

Per KRS 158.032, Upon enrollment of a student for the first time in any elementary or secondary school, the school shall notify in writing the person enrolling the student that within thirty days (30) the person shall provide requested documents as stated above. Back to top

How do I register for Preschool/Kindergarten? 

For information on Preschool and/or Kindergarten registration, please visit the JELV website and click the Registration Information link. Back to top